Glaxosmithkline is a leading global healthcare organization championing innovation in three primary areas of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare. They have presence in 150 countries; a network of 89 manufacturing sites and large R&D centres in the UK, USA, Belgium and China. GSK is committed to helping people “do more, feel better and live longer”.
As a market leader in Nigeria, GSK sought to create shared value that will enable the entire ecosystem of healthcare providers and patients alike benefit from opportunities created by the company through an initiative called the Patient Adherence Program.
GSK approached Softcom to build a platform for the the Patient Adherence Programme intended to reward patients who continuously use specific medication from GSK at selected Pharmacies by offering them free or discounted packs at the point of purchase after reaching a defined number of purchases.
After a proper analysis of the challenge presented to us by GSK, Softcom followed though with our solution process by co-creating with our client to develop the best possible solution. We discovered that the best possible way was to involve the pharmacies registered with GSK by making them major instruments for value delivery on the project.
Softcom and GSK’s Co-creation resulted in the following:
- A robust desktop application for onboarding of patients, verification and tracking adherence points.
- An admin backend for GSK providing real time information on activities on the system and convenient management of the entire program. It allowed GSK to manage the supply and configuration activity of customized cards, track purchase history and have a view of the impact of the Patience Adherence program without compromising Personally Identifiable Information (PII) per its policy.
- An Orange card for the patients which can be picked up at any pharmacy registered with GSK and used for redemption of rewards gained through adherence points when purchasing specific GSK drugs for chronic respiratory diseases. Over 5,000 cards have been generated with 2,300 already distributed to the registered pharmacy outlets.
Softcom also conducted a series of deep dive training sessions on the usage and management of the desktop application for the pharmacists working in the 23 outlets Lagos which have been on-boarded. With each milestone ticked, Softcom consistently gave periodic reports on progress. By the end of 2018, we expect over 50 more pharmacy outlets to be on-boarded and trained in the proper usage of the desktop application.
MEASURABLE AND CONCRETE RESULTS
Results obtained from the Patient Adherence program include:
- Improvement in Adherence: With the adoption of the Patience adherence program, GSK has witnessed evident improvement in return customers over the past few months.
- Increase in Sales: Through the admin backend, GSK has observed significant growth in turnover of the drugs on the Patience adherence System.